Ginger and Orange Marmalade
- 1.5kg sweet oranges
- 2 lemons
- 110g (4oz) peeled & finely chopped ginger
- 3kg Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Preserving Cane Sugar
- Halve the fruit and squeeze out the juice, reserving the pips. Remove the skin membranes from each orange half and place on a large square of muslin with all the pips. Tie with string to enclose. Remove and discard any excess pith from the fruit skins, then finely chop the peel.
- Place the peel and ginger in a large pan and add the juice, muslin bag and 3l (5pts) of water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 1½-2 hours until the peel is tender and the mixture reduced by half.
- Remove the muslin bag, squeezing out any juices. Add the Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Preserving Cane Sugar, stirring until dissolved, then bring to the boil and simmer rapidly for 15-35 minutes or until setting point is achieved.
- Remove from the heat and skim off any surface residue. Allow to stand for 10-15 minutes then stir gently and transfer to hot, sterilised jars. Seal, label and store in a cool, dark, dry place.
Spread it on warm buttered toast and crumpets or swirl it into your porridge for a sweet and spicy kick!